Cazalla Intercultural is a local NGO located in Lorca, Murcia, in the South East of Spain, founded in 2007.
The mission of our team of professionals is “To promote active citizenship, social inclusion, youth mobility, voluntary service, sustainable development, stand up for human rights, integration, non-discrimination and against gender-based violence, through non-formal education, youth information and international cooperation.
Our work is structured in 4 main fields:
- Voluntary service – we work as EVS sending/hosting/coordinating organization since 2003. During the years it has hosted about 35 volunteers, sends annually nearly 60 volunteers all over the world. Cazalla is involved in the local voluntary activities.
- Capacity building – on the local level through the cooperation with the local authorities – advising and information center, local projects and trainings; and on international level by development of the quality systems mainly in the field of youth work and volunteering.
- International cooperation in the field of youth – that includes promotion of the youth exchange and offering the youngsters from our local community the first international and intercultural experience; exchange of experiences, networking and implementing the training courses in the fields of expertise of Cazalla – human rights, gender based violence, participation.
- Local youth work – composed of the youth information center, and the local project with the aim to foster the participation of the young people, integration of migrants into the local society and fight against racism and discrimination. Cazalla is also an Eurodesk information point. We encourage the creativity of young people and assure the quality of their work.
Cazalla Intercultural has an extended experience in the area of the local youth work involving young people with fewer opportunities especially young migrants. Currently we are running the youth center, where on the daily basis we can get to young the situation and needs of young people.
In relation to the project we can mention the following related areas of competences:
- Working with young migrants – our organization has been created with the main objective to work with migrant population that makes over 26% of the population of our city. We are running different activities – starting from the support in the homework for children from the migrant families since parents usually don’t speak Spanish, through support with the language learning for parents and refugees, together with many activities for young people that support their integration. We believe that our youth center’s richness is also based on the diversity of its target group.
- Experience in the area of non-discrimination – we have developed the concept and the tool box on invisible racism – we already worked this concept in several projects. The concept focuses on eliminating the first signs of discrimination and racism and fighting agains the normalized discriminatory behaviours
- Developing trainings and training materials – Cazalla counts with a team of experienced trainers working for different European institutions like Spanish NA, Council of Europe and SALTO, and within many projects we have not only offered trainings but as well developed our own educational materials, researches, modules etc.
- Intercultural communication – It is one of Cazalla’s main fields of work, as we have started as a local organization with the main objective of integrating young migrants into the Lorca society. Currently we are running various programmes that focuses on the elimination of all forms of racism and intolerances and especially invisible racism, that is for us the main thing in the intercultural communication.